Remarkable by Nature
Berkeley are transforming a disregarded brownfield site into a new destination with nature at its heart. This 88-acre development will be a place rich in flora and fauna and when complete, will become one of the most biodiverse developments in the UK.
Working in conjunction with London Wildlife Trust, The Green Quarter will provide:
- Two brand new parks - Central Gardens and The Wetlands, providing over 13 acres of new parkland for all to enjoy.
- Over 1km of reinstated tow path along the Grand Union Canal.
- A new footbridge linking to the adjacent 90-acre Minet Country Park - which Berkeley are investing £1.8m in.
- At least 2,500 trees being planted across the development.
- A multitude of habitats from grassland, woodland, ponds to a wetlands.
- Habitats for London priority species including bats, butterflies, finches, thrushes and raptors.
- Green roofs across the development.
- Over 17 acres of Podium Gardens.
- The Wetlands will have 6,000m3 of water with varying depths creating a mosaic of aquatic habitat, marginal planting, reed bed, marsh and flower rich grassland.
History & Heritage
Southall Manor House built
Brunel's Great Western Railway Company opened
Parish of Southall established
Gasworks constructed by Brentford Gas Company
Southall Water Tower built
Southall Film Studios opens
Gas Manholder built on-site
Large numbers of people from India and Pakistan settled in Southall
Gasworks ceases to operate
Southall Big Plan is published. Berkeley acquires the 88 acre Southall Gasworks site working with the Greater London Authority, London Borough of Ealing, National Grid and the London Borough of Hillingdon
Masterplan works commence on-site
Commenced Western access bridges, roads & utilities and affordable homes
Alongside Catalyst Housing, the first residents have moved into their affordable homes
1.2km of towpath reinstated along the Grand Union Canal
- 3,750 high-quality new homes
- Phase 1 will comprise 49% affordable homes
- 13 acres of parkland
- Up to half of the development will comprise open green space for all to enjoy
- 2 new parks
- 2 footbridges created to open up 90 acres of Minet Country Park
- 1km of canalside living
An Evolving Place
- A health centre
- A community centre
- A primary school and nursery
- 2 new bus services into the development
- A new entrance connecting the development to the A312
- A central park connecting the development to the forthcoming Crossrail station